UKWIN is collecting and archiving waste consultation submissions in order to provide members with ideas, arguments and sources to draw upon for their own local waste consultation responses.
National and European Consultations
EFRACOM Inquiry into Waste Management in England
NAO Investigation into DEFRA’s oversight of PFI waste projects
Government consultation on Judicial Review: proposals for further reform
- Justice Consultation page for the Judicial Review: Proposals for Further Reform consultation
- UKWIN’s October 2013 Response to the Judicial Review: Proposals for Further Reform consultation [PDF]
Government consultation on UK Aarhus National Implementation Report 2013
- Defra Consultation page for the Aarhus Convention national implementation report
- UKWIN’s October 2013 Response to the NIR consultation [PDF]
European Commission 2013 Public Consultation on the Green Paper on Plastic Waste
- European Commission Consultation page for the Plastic Green Paper
- UKWIN’s June 2013 Response to the Plastic Green Paper [PDF]
Government 2013 consultation on a notification process for new build dedicated biomass projects
- Govenment’s biomass notification consultation page
- UKWIN’s June 2013 Response to the Biomass Notification consultation [PDF]
Environmental Audit Committee, Autumn Statement 2012: Environmental Issues
- Environmental Audit Committee launches inquiry into Budget 2013 (Committee press release)
- Environmental Audit Committee – Fourth Report – Autumn Statement 2012: environmental issues
- UKWIN submission on environmental taxes
- Chris Edwards submission on incineration tax
- UKWIN article on the Report
Treasury PFI Reform Call for Evidence
- HM-Treasury PFI Reform Consultation Page
- UKWIN’s response to the Treasury’s PFI Reform Call for Evidence (PDF)
DCLG’s informal consultation on the Weekly Collections Support Scheme
- Written Ministerial Statement by Eric Pickles on the fund, 10 October 2011.
- Trade press article on informal consultation (Letsrecycle).
- UKWIN’s submission to DCLG’s informal consultation on the Weekly Collections Support Scheme, November 2011 (PDF).
National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) review, 2011
The various consultation responses to Defra’s 2010 Call for Evidence to inform their review of waste policies could also be helpful as they contain referenced arguments against incineration and in favour of more sustainable waste management:
- UKWIN’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- Friends of the Earth’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- Dalton Incinerator Steering Committee’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- Zero Waste Alliance UK’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- The 2020 Zero Waste Project’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- James Greyson’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
And for a slightly different perspective:
- The Environmental Services Association (ESA)’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- Veolia’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
- SITA’s submission to Defra’s call for evidence.
Starting on Tuesday 14th June 2011 Defra released a series of documents as part of their Waste Review.
The following documents were released by Defra in June 2011:
- Government Review of Waste Policy in England 2011 (WR)
- The Economics of Waste and Waste Policy
- Government Review of Waste Policy in England 2011 Action plan
- Review of Waste Policies – Impact Assessment
- Guidance on applying the Waste Hierarchy
- Applying the Waste Hierarchy: evidence summary
- Anaerobic Digestion Strategy and Action Plan
UKWIN has produced a briefing on the Government’s waste review and associated documents and produced a 2-page initial response.
Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Core Strategy Proposed Submission Document Consultation (April 2012)
Hertfordshire Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy consultation (November 2011)
- Hearing Statements for the Waste Core Strategy Examination.
Note: Those from Herts Without Waste are particularly worth reading.
Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Core Strategy (Further Issues and Options Consultation September 2010)
Essex County Council and Southend-on-Sea Borough Council Waste Strategy Development Document (Issues and Options Consultation October 2010)
Gloucestershire County Council’s Strategic review of the Residual Waste PFI Project
UKWIN Submissions to Environmental Permit Applications
Incinerators require an Environmental Permit from the relevant regulator in order to operate. The consideration of such applications is especially important for experimental technologies such as gasification and pyrolysis, and where a facility is prosed on or near a particularly sensitive location.
Clean Power Property’s Washwood Heath Environmental Permit Application (EPR/RP3132ND/A001)
- March 2015 appraisal of the Washwood Heath EP Application [PDF] (Produced for UKWIN by Dr. Andrew N. Rollinson, Renewable Energy and Environmental Consultant at Blushful Earth)
Local Planning Objections / Proofs of Evidence
While every incinerator proposal is different, there is value in seeing what arguments others have made and how they have framed them. Below are links to planning objections and public inquiry submissions where the local group are happy for their work to be used to inform others working for a United Kingdom without incineration.
Planning Application Objections